Job Vacancy-Communications and Advocacy Intern
This position involves creating, improving, and, maintaining content to achieve MUHURIS’ vision and mission. You should have a strong sense of story and analysis, excellent writing and research skills, as well as a confident sense of leadership and motivation to work with a diverse and committed team.
The candidate will need good media skills, and an understanding of current events touching on human rights and social justice to actively further the messaging and ideology of the organization.
The candidate will play a key role in helping to distill, message, and, position the complex human rights and social justice issues within the coastal operational context but with a national and international outlook. The candidate will be required to craft a wide range of print and electronic publication materials that effectively elucidate our work and partnerships with others and will collaborate closely with key internal and external stakeholders to finalize, calendar out and measure the impact of strategic content for key audiences. The candidate will lead regular posting on social media, website updates, and the development of periodical e-newsletters.
- A degree in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration, or related field;
- Working experience in the provision of communication, advocacy, and campaign services
- provide the ability to produce quality work accurately and consistently according to set deadlines
- practical experience on how to handle cameras, and other photographic equipment.
- practical experience in how to multi-task and prioritize and work independently
- strong understanding and interest in advocacy and other communication-related issues
- must be computer literate
- ability to work effectively in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds
- Knowledge and commitment to disability and disability issues and readiness to work with persons with disabilities across the board.
- Computer literate and ability to work independently.
- Experience with donor funding and reporting.
- Understand the best practices of main social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc
- Must possess exceptional writing skills and be able to compose engaging and accurate content
- Strong communicator who works well independently and with a team
- Superior time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Understanding of communications, public relations, and marketing best practices
- Ability to think strategically and identify ways to improve communication efforts
- Must be resourceful and take initiative even when given minimal direction
With the assistance of other team members, the communications intern shall be required to;
- Writing, editing, proofreading, and producing content for MUHURI website, social media content, and newsletter publications
- Monitoring current affairs and generating written content and stories for MUHURI publications
- Fact Checking, spelling, grammar, writing style, page design and photos of MUHURI products
- Ensure that content standards and site standards are adhered to
- Develop an editorial calendar and ensure content team is on board
- Develop a social media strategy
- Coordinate and supervise all elements of video pre-production, production, post-production and publication
- Conceive and facilitate story ideas and production for MUHURI’s vision and operations
- Research, develop, script, edit and publish products to MUHURI’s publication standards
- Provide guidance and support to crewmembers in Mombasa and the counties on all aspects of film production; ensure that products speak to the social justice needs of communities, and strategically address discrimination
- Support and develop a team spirit with staff in the field and all MUHURI’s departments
- Organize production logistics, content gathering and interviews